Monday, July 6, 2015

Baby Shopping List

I am now 22 weeks pregnant and I find myself suffering from a horrible case of nesting. I have not really purchased anything yet for the baby but it is a real struggle to keep myself from hoarding every cute little thing I see at the malls. Of course, it does not help that for so long I was not allowed to go to malls because I had a low-lying placenta. I had my ultrasound two weeks ago and the ultrasound shows I now have a placenta that is positioned higher in my uterus so I can now go gallivanting again. In the last ultrasound, I should have found out the gender of our baby but the baby will not let us have a peek so the gender remains a mystery. This has helped a ton in keeping me from getting into a shopping frenzy!

I have created a list of things I would like to buy when I reach my 7 month mark. My mom asked me not to start buying yet until my 7th month so I am not but it has not kept me from window shopping. 

Here is my short  shopping list to satisfy my nesting craving:
  1. Wooden Crib My brother and my SIL have been kind enough to offer me a play and pack type of crib that my niece has outgrown. She has moved to a wooden crib that is sturdier and bigger since she is already turning 2 in August. The crib is in pink though, and since I am yet to learn the gender of my baby, I have to consider purchasing a new one. I have looked into different cribs and I think this deserves a separate post so will write about it in another post
  2. Mattress Cribs normally do not come with a mattress so this needs to be purchased separately. Care must be taken to ensure the size fits the crib perfectly though for the child's safety. I was told that Uratex does custom mattresses and got this number from friend blogger Mel, 888.6800. I am taking note of this for future reference. She said the mattress was at a very reasonable price, much cheaper than those sold at malls so yey for this!
  3. Bedding Again, this is sold separately. To avoid Sudden Infant Death Syndrome  (SIDS), the sheets must be fitted. Pillows, soft guard, blankets and other loose items are highly discouraged as this may cause SIDS. I might buy them only for playtime and not for sleeping.
  4. Sterilizer Apparently, there are different kinds and I am yet to identify which one will be best for us so this will have another post of its own but here are the different types: Microwave Sterilizer, Cold Water Sterilizer and the Electric Sterilizer.
  5. Bottles I really want to breastfeed my baby directly but eventually, I will have to pump when I get back to work which means we will be needing bottles. There are tons of bottles out there and I also wish to choose which ones will be best for us. Some brands thrown at me are Avent and Dr. Brown and then I also read about Nuby. I will probably get six bottles first and then work from there. They say babies are choosy so buying a lot of one kind might not be very practical.
  6. Diapers I just know babies will pee and poop a lot so we will be stocking up on these. My niece uses Huggies so we may end up using these as well. I wonder when the next S&R sale will be. Somebody suggested Mamypoko and I know of some relatives who prefer this brand so I might try this as well.
  7. Swaddle I have gotten confusing input on swaddling. Some say it's great because it comforts the baby and it really allows the baby to sleep for long periods of time because babies are not disturbed by their reflexes. However, sleeping for long periods of time is not necessarily good because babies are supposed to feed every two to three hours. Also, it has been found that prolonged sleep may also induce SIDS. Moreover, if you swaddle the legs of the baby too tightly, this can cause hip dysplasia. I am getting at least one for those times when baby needs to be kept warm while I hold him. I have looked into the proper way of swaddling too and there are pieces of clothing that only needs to be zipped up and voila, baby is swaddled. The Halo SleepSack was recommended to me by a pediatrician friend. Another example is that of Ikea's Sleeping Bag.
  8. Bonnet I will just buy 3 of these because I will probably only use this for those times when we have to go out in the morning.
  9. Mittens I will buy 12 of these because I will probably lose half of these. Also, the baby will end up getting drool and milk all over it so rather than risk food poisoning, we will just have to remember to replace them regularly.
  10. Socks My niece used to feel cold all the time so I will be buying 6 of these. Again, half of these will probably get lost but I anticipate the baby growing fast so we will buy new ones again after a few months I think.
  11. Shirts with Ribbons or Buttons Traditionally, the shirts are with ribbons, I remember my little sister had these but I read somewhere that buttons are faster and easier to snap on. I think the ribbons are more comfortable though because buttons tend to be hard and rough on the skin of the baby. I will get 6 with ribbons and maybe 6 with buttons. Some will be short sleeves and some will be long sleeves. 
  12. Footies If I cannot swaddle a sleeping baby, I have to keep him warm with something. Enter footies. Hip dysplasia should not be a danger anymore since the legs can freely move. No need to put on socks as well since they are built-in. Baby will probably wake up because this does not keep the baby from getting disturbed by reflexes but that's better than risking SIDS. I will get 3 first because these can be pricey and also this might make diaper changes/checks a nightmare.
  13. Bibs Babies will drool and spit and I imagine using these for the baby and for me so I am getting 12. Again, these items are easily lost.
  14. Burp Pads I think cloth diapers can double as burp pads but will look into these as well. I am not sure how much these are but I imagine getting 6.
  15. Cloth Diapers These will mainly be used for wiping drool, spit and milk because while my little sister did use cloth diapers, I cannot imagine storing, much more, washing soiled diapers. Then again, it might be too early to be saying these things. I will be getting 12 because these are cheap right?
  16. Baby Tub Call me weird but I want a tub with holes so the bath water can freely flow. I will be on the look out for a good, cheap tub but for now I just know I need to get one.
  17. Baby Towel I will be getting 3 bath towels.
  18. Baby Shampoo I cannot wait to smell my baby! I will probably get J&J as this was the same brand my mom used on us. I also hear other brands are way more expensive and I already find J&J pricey haha!
  19. Baby Soap I almost forgot soap! Cetaphil was recommended by a mom friend because this is milder than J&J. I wonder if this is good for baby's hair too.
  20. Baby Ointment for Rashes I am expecting rashes if we are going to use disposable diapers. This is one of the reasons why I am thinking of considering getting cloth diapers too. I got a tip that virgin coconut oil can be used for the baby's bottom so you never have to deal with rashes but should rashes occur, just cook flour and use it on the area with rashes. I like that these are organic solutions.
  21. Baby Wipes They say this is the Swiss knife of baby care so I am getting these.
  22. Baby Powder I know this keeps the baby cool but it also smells so nice on babies. I was just informed by a friend that baby powder is not good for the baby because the baby will be able to inhale the small particles. Yikes.
  23. Baby Lotion They say the baby's skin dries so I am getting this.
  24. Liquid Soap for Bottle Washing I recently learned that I cannot use normal dish washing liquid on baby bottles so I have to get one from either Chicco or Enfant they say. Will look into this.
  25. Bottle Brush I am sure I have seen my brother clean the bottles with this so I am getting one. I was told the Pigeon brush does the job.
  26. Bottle Dryer I do not think my brother has this but it makes sense to dry the bottles before storing them so I will check this out. If this is too pricey or consumes too much electricity, I am not getting one.
  27. Bottle Storage I imagine this is just a sealed plastic container where we can store the dried bottles so they will not get contaminated.
  28. Nail Clippers I fear the day when I will finally have to trim my baby's nails. Still, I have to learn and it must be done so I will need to get nail clippers.
  29. Diaper Bag This is not a priority for now since I have big bags. I need to look at what's so special about diaper bags first before I get one.
  30. Thermometer I really need to get this and will probably end up poking our baby with it every hour because I get paranoid like that.A friend of mine recommends the type that you just point at the forehead rather than the ear. I do not think I have seen one like this but will scout for one.
  31. Laundry Soap Again, they say ordinary laundry soap cannot be used on the baby so I will need to get milder soap.
  32. Stroller Thank goodness for my brother and SIL, I do not have to worry about this because they are lending me one of my niece's strollers. She has three! :)
  33. Car Seat There are so many options and so many safety tests to consider so I have not really decided yet on what we should get. This requires another post because there are just so many things to consider.
  34. Baby Carrier My brother and SIL are also lending me their baby carrier but theirs is a bit bulky with lots of buckles that seem to be meant for older babies. For smaller babies, Boba Wraps might do. This is a bit on the pricey side and I imagine my husband raising safety concerns because this will rely so much on the way one ties the wrap around one's body. Will check this out though because the baby might like this.
I have quite a list! This does not even include the breastfeeding needs I will need to buy yet! 

I wonder if I am forgetting other stuff still!



3 comments:

  1. Miss Ria, I used Avent's feeding bottles for Cesca. :) I am very much satisfied with the brand and highly recommend it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I will check them out! I appreciate inputs from moms like you.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete