Friday, November 27, 2015

Go Bag List

As early as my 20th week of pregnancy, I already put together a list of things to bring to the hospital. However, as late as my 37th week of pregnancy, we have not bothered putting together our Go Bag. The result was a ton of stress because I gave birth at 37 weeks. I felt bad for my husband who had to go to our house to get the things on the list and then head back to the hospital in a hurry because he of course, did not want to miss the birth of our baby.

We did not want the clothes to be sitting idle in the Go Bag as we wait for our bundle of joy. I did not purchase many maternity clothes so I could not pack them away in a Go Bag. This was a terrible reason. So not worth the stress. I cannot urge you enough, pack your Go Bag.

Here is our list of things we had to bring to the hospital:

Baby's Things
  • Tie side shirts These are easier to put on than those shirts that have to go over the baby's head.
  • Mittens These are very important. The baby's nails are long and sharp and they really scratch their faces. The nails can only be trimmed 4 weeks postpartum so bring mittens and make sure you secure the mittens properly.
  • Socks or Booties We were unable to bring socks because I had a hard time selecting socks without loose threads. It was only later that I realized I can just have the baby wear the socks inside out! Nobody cares if they look weird anyway, for as long as the baby toes and toenails are safe.
  • Newborn Diapers At our chosen hospital, they provided the diapers but I think you can also choose to just bring your own so you need not be charged for the diapers. In our experience though, we could not be bothered to keep track of these things. We were too tired and too excited.
  • Baby Wipes They also provided us with a diaper bag that has some of the needs of the baby like baby wipes, body wash, laundry soap and dish washing soap.
  • Muslin Flat Cloth Diapers or Burping Pads We use the muslin cloth because these can have multiple purposes and can be used until the baby is all grown up (e.g., muslin cloth can be placed under their shirt to dry their back)
  • Halo SwaddleSack We got this swaddle because it is safer against SIDS. Some of my mommy friends warned me that their kid did not like this swaddle. This was after we bought two SwaddleSacks for newborns and 2 for toddlers. We are fortunate that our son neither likes nor dislikes the swaddle. This has been helpful during the nights when our baby finds it hard to sleep because he startles himself with his Moro Reflex.
  • Bonnet This was not on the list. I have forgotten about this. The hospital provided us with the bonnet.
  • Pajama pants This was also not on the list but it was good that we had the SwaddleSack, we did not need this anymore but it would be nice to have anyway just in case.
Nanay's Things
  • Health Card (this should always be in your belongings) Do not forget to bring this always. Save the number on your health card on your phone as well just to be sure.
  • Toiletries The hospital had toiletries but if you have preferred brands then just bring your own.
  • 3 Sets of Clothes This is overkill. I had a CS operation and only had to stay for two days. We could have gone home on the second day. You only need to use your own clothes for when you get discharged. Most of the time, you will be in a hospital gown. Bring extra nonetheless because you may end up staying longer. We had to extend a night because our child was jaundiced. This should have been two nights but the bilirubin level of our baby dropped already.
  • Nursing Bras If you are planning to breastfeed, this is easiest.
  • Breast Pads My breasts leaked already on the second day so better to play it safe and just bring breast pads. I have survived the last few weeks on washable Avent breast pads.
  • Maternity Pads or Adult Diapers We had a hard time finding Maternity Pads so we just bought Adult Diapers. I think using Adult Diapers is better than using Maternity Pads because this way you are sure that there are no leaks. The last thing you want  to worry about are stains and having to move because they need to clean the bed especially post CS.
  • Wink Binders I got my binders from the baby fair. These are my lifesaver. Without them, I felt like my body was going to get cut in half. They are also supposed to help with slimming you down. I am still fat but according to people who have seen me, I have lost some weight. This is not to say that I am no longer fat. I am still fat just less fat. :)
  • Towel I did not take a bath at the hospital but there is comfort in knowing that I can should I choose to. Towels are also provided at the hospital but uhm... no thanks.
  • Breast Pump We ended up not bringing this. That was a mistake because our baby could not latch because of my short nipples (yes, it's a thing). My husband had to go back to our house to get this and our sterilizer. 
  • Sterilizer Our hospital of choice does not allow sterilizers to be brought in but in case your hospital allows, you may want to bring your sterilizer for convenience.
  • Bottles We cup fed our baby because we did not want nipple confusion. We only used the bottles for milk storage.
  • Nipple Shield This was not on the list but I wish I had it with me during the times my baby could not latch. This may lead to nipple confusion though but desperate times call for desperate measures. 
  • Breast Shield I recently learned that you can use breast shields in between feedings to draw out the nipples. I am yet to use this but I might try. It is so hard to draw my nipples to the length that can be "detected" by our baby.
  • Kindle I did not even glance at my Kindle. I had neither the time nor the energy to read.
  • Phone Charger People will send you congratulatory SMS and some will ask if they can come and visit so keep this beside you. I did not. Hehe... I was too tired and could not be bothered. I would much rather spend time with our baby.
  • Slippers We forgot to bring my slippers and so we had to get a pair from the hospital. The amount was exorbitant for our standards so better to just bring these. 
Tatay's Things
  • Toiletries
  • 3 Sets of Clothes
  • Towel
  • Camera My husband was allowed in the OR so he was able to take photos of us. I love looking at those photos because it reminds me of how little our baby was.
  • Camera Charger With guests coming over, you will continue to take pictures.
  • Car Seat Car seat should have been installed already. We were unable to buy a car seat in time. We were still waiting for the Britax First Class but it never came. I ended up carrying the baby during the drive home.
  • Envelope of Documents These should have been prepared ahead of time because many of these have to be obtained from the office HR or from PhilHealth.
Documents
  • Government IDs Have at least two in case they ask for these.
  • Marriage Certificate We forgot to bring ours. This is needed for the birth certificate of the baby.
  • Admission Slip from OB I discussed my birth plan at 36 weeks and then my OB prepared by admission slip. This makes it easier for you to get admitted to your chosen hospital.
  • Birth Plan Copies This eliminates the need to discuss every detail. This ensures you will not forget anything that you need to say to the doctor.
  • SSS Maternity 1 Form I filled this out and then I submitted this to HR. After it was processed by SSS, I was given a copy. This is usually just needed at the office but it will not hurt to put it in the same envelope as the other documents.
  • SSS Maternity 2 Form This is to be submitted to HR later for your maternity benefit. This should be submitted together with a certified true copy of the birth certificate from the local civil registry  alongside proof of your giving birth signed by the hospital.
  • PhilHealth MDR HR can process this for you but if they cannot, you may go to the PhilHealth office. There is a priority lane for pregnant women.
  • PhilHealth Claim Form 1 HR will sign this and release to you. Do not lose this because you do not want your husband to have to go to your company just to get this.
  • Certification Letter and Contribution HR will also provide this as proof that you are indeed working for the company still and it will also detail the last few months of contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment